If possible, keep all pets out of the house. Pets need to either be out of the home or in a crate when the home is shown or an Open House is planned. Even the best Pet can have an off day and bite someone, and many buyers may be afraid of certain pets.
- Make sure your lawn is mowed and edged. The first impression a buyer will get of your home is from the outside. Curb appeal is very important. If you don’t have the time to keep the lawn mowed and edged, now is the time when hiring a service would benefit you. This way you don’t have to worry about making sure it always is done in time for a buyer to see it or an open house.
- Trim all the trees and shrubs on your property. If you can’t reach some of your trees or have the equipment to trim the trees and shrubs, we suggest you hire a landscape company to get it in shape for you. You can also rent the equipment from a rental company if you would prefer to do it yourself.
- Plant some flowers or display large flower pots. This is the best way to brighten up your yard and enhance that curb appeal. You can pick up inexpensive pots at a pottery place, K-Mart, Target, Home Depot, or even at a Garage Sale. These same places carry all types of flowers and shrubs too at good prices.
- Sweep and clean all sidewalks and pathways. If you are in a climate that has snow and ice, make sure you clean the sidewalks and pathways and also the decks and put down salt so it clears and no one falls. Make sure no toys, papers, or outside tools are left in the walk-ways.
- Repair and clean all windows. Replace any cracked or broken windows and make sure they are clean for a well maintained look.
- Clean all eaves and drain spouts. Blocked eaves and drain spouts can lead to damage that will cost more than keeping them clean. A ladder and either your hand or a small broom can clean them out or you can hire a handyman to do it for you.
- Paint exterior areas that need painting. Peeling or chipped paint should be taken care of for a fresh well cared for look to your home.
- Clean or replace door knobs. The entrance to the home should be perfect from the finish on the door to the door knob and locks. If they are dated and can’t be cleaned, then they should be replaced.
- Keep Garage Door closed. First impressions are important and even though the garage is an important space, it should not have the door left open at anytime. You also don’t want people to think they should enter through the garage because it is open.
- Remove all family photos, trophies, personal crafts, etc. Personal items such as pictures, trophies with names, home made crafts, etc. often keep people from being able to visualize the home for themselves and distract from other features of the home.
- Remove all “clutter” (ie: newspapers, boxes, etc.,) it will make your home feel bigger. Make sure the counters in baths and the kitchen are clutter free and papers either put away or in the trash. Dishes should always be done and put away, not left in the sink.
- Clean all your carpets. If the carpet needs to be replaced, do so and make sure it is a neutral color. If it does not need replacing, have it cleaned or do it yourself by renting a carpet cleaning machine.
- Repair or paint any chipped or dirty walls. Remember to choose neutral colors when painting your walls, not everyone likes the bold colors or blue or red tones. If all that is needed is to wash the walls, do the entire wall, not just spots.
- Make doors and windows open correctly and easily. Just use a little A-1 oil where needed so that everything opens and closes easily.
- Repair and minor damages. (ie: plaster, wallpaper, creaking floor boards, etc.) If you have wall-paper and the seams are opening up, a small tube of wall paper paste can be purchased at K-Mart or a wall paper store. Creaking floor boards need to be repaired. You may need to hire a flooring person to lift up the flooring to repair the boards if you don’t want to attempt it yourself. Plaster repairs also may need the attention of an expert.
- Add some indoor plants. Plants add a warm feeling to a home. Green and flowering plants both work well.
what you can expect
our highest standard
it matters to us
we will not make excuses
Full Service Realty
"Changing the cost of selling homes 4 ever"
3.95% Full Service Realty
15200 S. Tamiami Trail, Suite 117
Fort Myers, FL 33908